May 10, 2012

Homemade Lentil Soup

Ever since I went to Syria I have an addiction: Lentil Soup!!! I ate it EVERYWHERE lol, cuz so do they. Now.. I have the best Lentil Soup recipe and I am ready to share :-)! I have a Turkish friend and I am also very close with her family. When I visit them I always end up in the kitchen with her mother. I like to see how she cooks and write every single thing down.
This is her Lentil Soup recipe that I now have made my own and keep in my recipe box (cute huh.. !! It has all my written recipes and recipes out of magazines in it).



Ingredients (2-3 cups):
1 Onion
2 Carrots
1 Big Potato
Red Lentils
Salt
Cumin
Lemon Juice
Ginger (optional)





Put some oil in the pan, cut the onion up and fry 'm till they get brownish. Put a little salt in it and throw the lentils in (as much as you like.. wash them before you add!!). Stir it and then put in the raw potato and carrots, cut up in even pieces (if you cut them a little smaller, they will cook faster). Then put boiling water over it (kettle love!) en let everything boil until the potatoes and carrots are soft.
Now you have to mix everything, until it is all smooth and soup like.


It will get thick very fast, so don't be too careful with the water, otherwise you'll end up with a mousse :-p. You can add as much water as you want. I like the soup to be a little thicker. Just remind yourself that when you add water, you have to put in some more cumin and lemon juice as well.


 It is very healthy and it doesn't need a lot of side dishes. Normally I can't just eat soup for dinner, unless I'm sick or something. But this soup is so rich that you won't be hungry after. The only thing I like to eat with it is fried tortilla, but of course you can also just roll one up and dip it. Yum yummm..
Today I added Ginger.. Ginger boosts your metabolism up to 20% for about three hours!!! Isn't that great.. and all you have to do is eat it.
 

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!